Skip to main content

Carstens Sees No Reason for Mexico Credit Rating Cut

By Nathan Gill and Jens Erik Gould
     July 3 (Bloomberg) -- Mexican Finance Minister Agustin Carstens said the country doesn’t have debt problems and there’s no reason for rating companies to cut its credit rating.
     “We have a strong economy. We don’t have any external payment problems,” Carstens told reporters today at a meeting of finance ministers in Vina del Mar, Chile. “We are going to accomplish our fiscal objective.”
     Mexico may propose tax increases as part of a bill aimed at strengthening public finances that the government plans to submit in September, Carstens said. The government may also include “spending adjustments” and debt increases as part of the proposal, he said.
     Fitch Ratings and Standard & Poor’s have placed Mexico’s BBB+ credit-rating, the third-lowest investment grade level, on negative outlook because of concern the recession and a dependence on oil revenue are swelling the government’s budget deficit. The government and central bank have urged lawmakers to approve legislation that they say would shore up the country’s finances.
     The proposal to change fiscal laws “will make use of the best possible combination of spending adjustments, possibly more debt in the short term, and some consideration to greater tax collection,” Carstens said.
     Mexico’s economic growth in the second quarter “will continue being relatively bad,” especially because it will reflect the effects of the swine flu outbreak, Carstens said.

     “There isn’t a solid reason to make a revision of Mexico’s rating,” Carstens said. “Even though we are facing short-term challenges in fiscal policies, we are going to deal with this by using stabilization funds we created when the price of oil was high.”
     Carstens added that even as money transfers in dollars from abroad have been falling, they have risen in peso terms because the currency has weakened. Remittances fell 20 percent in May in U.S. dollar terms compared with the same period last year, the sharpest drop on record.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moving to the Suburbs: Reducciones in Recent Latin American Historiography

In 1503, the Spanish monarchy issued its first decree for the resettlement of indigenous groups in the Caribbean so that they would “live together” and “not remain or wander separated from each other in the backcountry.”[1]

As the European conquest spread to North, Central, and South America, these new settlements – known as reducciones and congregaciones in Spanish and descimentos in Portuguese – became sites of forced labor, evangelism, experimental agricultural, and refuge. Through a series of imperial policies decreed over the next decades and centuries of colonial rule, Spanish and Portuguese officials attempted to reshape the New World, including its human and natural landscapes. How colonial historians explain this process and indigenous peoples’ reactions to it is the focus of this essay.

In a review of the recent historiography of reducciones, several trends emerge that signal a shift in our understanding of the practice. As this paper will show, one common element is that …

77-Year-Old Wall Street Favorite to Face Fujimori in Peru Runoff

By Nathan Gill and John Quigley April 12, 2016 (Bloomberg) -- The victory by Pedro Pablo Kuczynski, a former finance minister, for second place in Sunday’s Peruvian president elections sets up a showdown between two business-friendly candidates, part of a regional backlash against left-wing politicians.
Kuczynski, a 77-year-old Oxford-trained political economist who’s spent more than 50 years championing debt control and free trade, won 21 percent of vote with 96 percent of the ballots counted, according to the electoral office. He will face Keiko Fujimori, who won 39.8 percent, in a second-round vote on June 5.
Click here to read the full story on Bloomberg News.

Bailout Risk Grows for Ecuador After Worst Earthquake in Decades

By Nathan Gill April 19, 2016 (Bloomberg) -- Before a 7.8-magnitude earthquake struck Ecuador on Saturday, the South American nation’s finances were already in tatters as the government struggled to meet payments to municipal authorities, oil companies and even cancer hospitals. Cut off from global bond markets, President Rafael Correa must now find enough money to rehouse thousands.
As volunteers continue to rescue victims from the rubble of collapsed homes and buildings on Ecuador’s Pacific coast, doubts are growing about the country’s ability to pay for the reconstruction. The nation is already in its worst recession since the financial system collapsed in the late 1990s, and international reserves are at their lowest levels in almost seven years.
Click hereto read the full story on Bloomberg News.