Skip to main content

President Proposes National Recall Vote As Bolivia Slides Further Into Chaos

(Dec. 6, 2007) Violent protests continue to rock Bolivia as politicians refuse to compromise on a new national constitution. President Evo Morales has proposed a national recall vote for himself and the country's nine prefects to help end protests that began after his political party Movement Toward Socialism (MAS) railroaded a new draft constitution through the National Assembly on Nov. 24. Opposition leaders dismissed the recall proposal as a smoke screen and asked the president to return the nation to the rule of law.

Speaking out against the president, Leopoldo Fernández, the Prefect of Prando said, "The issue does not depend on whether or not [President Morales] submits to a recall vote, but that he returns the nation to the rule of law and stops abusing his powers."

The conflict's roots lie in the 500 years of tense relations between Bolivia's highland indigenous populations, predominantly ethnic Quechua and Aymara, and the descendants of European immigrants, the traditional political elite, mostly located in the resource rich eastern lowlands. After the last two presidents were forced from office in 2003 and 2005, the nation elected its first ever indigenous president, Evo Morales, a 58 year old Aymaran who has promised to lead an indigenous revolution and retake control of Bolivia.

The most recent straw to break the nation's back was the imposition of a draft constitution by the president's political party in a special session without the presence of opposition legislators two weeks ago. The meeting was held in a high school outside the capital Sucre because protesters had already taken over the city in an attempt to block the meeting.


One of the consequences of this political standoff has been the erosion of political legitimacy at all levels of government, resulting in widespread crime and violence. In a telling display of rage and frustration with the current social conditions in Bolivia, residents of El Alto, a poor neighborhood outside of La Paz, beat four would-be car thieves to death and then set them on fire after they attempted to rob a local taxi driver on Wednesday.

In Cochabamba four more people were killed and over 200 wounded on Nov. 30th in street fights between opposing political groups and 80 opposition members of the national assembly have said they will join civil resistance groups if the government does not back down. Neither side appears to be willing to budge.

The Organization of American States is expected to send a human rights commission after four department governors traveled to its Washington headquarters this week to ask Secretary General José Miguel Insulza to intervene in the dispute. Morales initially rejected the proposal as Washington intervention but has now changed his mind and made a formal request for help resolving the current crisis.

However, the Assembly's directing committee threw more fuel on the fire Thursday when it announced that all future Assembly sessions would be held in Chapare, the political stronghold of Morales and his MAS party. It remains to be seen what effect this announcement will have on the country, but it seems certain to increase criticism of President Morales' administration as undemocratic.

While it is possible that the move will temporarily decrease the number of conflicts between opposition groups, it is hard to see how it will help resolve the crisis in the long run. If the Assembly approves a constitution without the support of a large portion of the country it will only further social divisions and fortify the opposition by giving them the moral high ground.

The Assembly plans to finish final revisions to the new constitution in seven days in order to meet the previously established deadline of December 14. The procedures originally allowed 120 days for discussion.

---
By Nathan Gill - Southern Affairs
---
In second photo, two of the four men lynched in the El Alto outburst.
Source: Los Tiempos.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moving to the Suburbs: Reducciones in Recent Latin American Historiography

In 1503, the Spanish monarchy issued its first decree for the resettlement of indigenous groups in the Caribbean so that they would “live together” and “not remain or wander separated from each other in the backcountry.”[1]

As the European conquest spread to North, Central, and South America, these new settlements – known as reducciones and congregaciones in Spanish and descimentos in Portuguese – became sites of forced labor, evangelism, experimental agricultural, and refuge. Through a series of imperial policies decreed over the next decades and centuries of colonial rule, Spanish and Portuguese officials attempted to reshape the New World, including its human and natural landscapes. How colonial historians explain this process and indigenous peoples’ reactions to it is the focus of this essay.

In a review of the recent historiography of reducciones, several trends emerge that signal a shift in our understanding of the practice. As this paper will show, one common element is that …

77-Year-Old Wall Street Favorite to Face Fujimori in Peru Runoff

By Nathan Gill and John Quigley April 12, 2016 (Bloomberg) -- The victory by Pedro Pablo Kuczynski, a former finance minister, for second place in Sunday’s Peruvian president elections sets up a showdown between two business-friendly candidates, part of a regional backlash against left-wing politicians.
Kuczynski, a 77-year-old Oxford-trained political economist who’s spent more than 50 years championing debt control and free trade, won 21 percent of vote with 96 percent of the ballots counted, according to the electoral office. He will face Keiko Fujimori, who won 39.8 percent, in a second-round vote on June 5.
Click here to read the full story on Bloomberg News.

Bailout Risk Grows for Ecuador After Worst Earthquake in Decades

By Nathan Gill April 19, 2016 (Bloomberg) -- Before a 7.8-magnitude earthquake struck Ecuador on Saturday, the South American nation’s finances were already in tatters as the government struggled to meet payments to municipal authorities, oil companies and even cancer hospitals. Cut off from global bond markets, President Rafael Correa must now find enough money to rehouse thousands.
As volunteers continue to rescue victims from the rubble of collapsed homes and buildings on Ecuador’s Pacific coast, doubts are growing about the country’s ability to pay for the reconstruction. The nation is already in its worst recession since the financial system collapsed in the late 1990s, and international reserves are at their lowest levels in almost seven years.
Click hereto read the full story on Bloomberg News.