Skip to main content

MAPUCHES PROTEST AGAINST DISCRIMINATION

(May 22, 2006) The Mapuche hunger strikers renewed their protest against Chile’s anti-terrorist law Saturday after accusing government officials of failing to uphold their side of the agreement that ended a 63 day hunger strike on May 14. The four prisoners refused meals Saturday and called for a general Mapuche strike throughout the country.

The group went without food for over two months to raise awareness about the unequal treatment of Mapuches under Chilean law. The group was sentenced under Chile’s anti-terrorist law in 2005 to 10 years and one day in prison and a fine of $400 million pesos (US$765,000) each for starting a fire that burned 100 hectares of timber in southern Chile.

Indigenous rights activists claim that the application of the anti-terrorist law in this case is discriminatory and reflects a broader government bias against Chile’s indigenous communities, a claim that is supported at the highest levels of the government.

“If a youth threw a Molotov Cocktail at a police car in Santiago there is no way the courts could apply the arms control law against him, it would be too severe,” said Antonio Leal, president of Chile’s Chamber of Deputies. “But when a Mapuche does the same thing in Region IX, he is charged under the anti-terrorist law.”

This inequality is exactly what the Mapuche community is protesting. On Saturday over 200 supporters of the hunger strike marched through the center of Santiago to demand that the government take their situation seriously and hold up their side of the agreement to pass legislation on the issue by Wednesday.

“Congress is supposed to vote on the law this Wednesday, but it has so far only made been seen by the Human Rights committee,” said Cristina Painemal, spokeswoman for the hunger strikers. “(The strikers) are not willing to wait forever.”

SOURCE: LA NACIÓN, EL MERCURIO, LA TERCERA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moving to the Suburbs: Reducciones in Recent Latin American Historiography

In 1503, the Spanish monarchy issued its first decree for the resettlement of indigenous groups in the Caribbean so that they would “live together” and “not remain or wander separated from each other in the backcountry.”[1]

As the European conquest spread to North, Central, and South America, these new settlements – known as reducciones and congregaciones in Spanish and descimentos in Portuguese – became sites of forced labor, evangelism, experimental agricultural, and refuge. Through a series of imperial policies decreed over the next decades and centuries of colonial rule, Spanish and Portuguese officials attempted to reshape the New World, including its human and natural landscapes. How colonial historians explain this process and indigenous peoples’ reactions to it is the focus of this essay.

In a review of the recent historiography of reducciones, several trends emerge that signal a shift in our understanding of the practice. As this paper will show, one common element is that …

77-Year-Old Wall Street Favorite to Face Fujimori in Peru Runoff

By Nathan Gill and John Quigley April 12, 2016 (Bloomberg) -- The victory by Pedro Pablo Kuczynski, a former finance minister, for second place in Sunday’s Peruvian president elections sets up a showdown between two business-friendly candidates, part of a regional backlash against left-wing politicians.
Kuczynski, a 77-year-old Oxford-trained political economist who’s spent more than 50 years championing debt control and free trade, won 21 percent of vote with 96 percent of the ballots counted, according to the electoral office. He will face Keiko Fujimori, who won 39.8 percent, in a second-round vote on June 5.
Click here to read the full story on Bloomberg News.

Bailout Risk Grows for Ecuador After Worst Earthquake in Decades

By Nathan Gill April 19, 2016 (Bloomberg) -- Before a 7.8-magnitude earthquake struck Ecuador on Saturday, the South American nation’s finances were already in tatters as the government struggled to meet payments to municipal authorities, oil companies and even cancer hospitals. Cut off from global bond markets, President Rafael Correa must now find enough money to rehouse thousands.
As volunteers continue to rescue victims from the rubble of collapsed homes and buildings on Ecuador’s Pacific coast, doubts are growing about the country’s ability to pay for the reconstruction. The nation is already in its worst recession since the financial system collapsed in the late 1990s, and international reserves are at their lowest levels in almost seven years.
Click hereto read the full story on Bloomberg News.