Skip to main content

OPERATION COLOMBO: CONTRERAS RESPONDS TO ALLEGATIONS

(May 24, 2006) Gen. Manuel Contreras, former director of Chile’s secret police, will appear before Santiago’s Constitutional Tribunal Thursday to appeal the 258 human rights violations currently filed against him. Gen. Contreras’ lawyer, Fidel Reyes, is expected to argue that the charges against his client are inapplicable because of due process violations arising from the use of both Chile’s old (1980) and new (2005) constitutions.

“We cannot have uniformed citizens indicted under a system that does not guarantee due process,” said Reyes.

While ironic given the accusations that Gen. Contreras took part in the summary executions of left-wing dissidents during his tenure as chief of the Directorate of National Intelligence (DINA), the court is expected to hear the new appeal before taking action on the charges against the retired general.

Contreras is currently serving 12 years and one day in prison for the “disappearance” of Miguel Ángel Sandoval, a left-wing activist of the Movement of the Revolutionary Left (MIR) who disappeared in 1975. He is also being investigated for his role in Operation Colombo, a joint operation between southern hemisphere military regimes to execute left-wing activist in exile.

Operation Colombo was one part of the larger Operation Condor that carried out a number of assassinations around the world, including the 1976 car bombing in Washington, D.C. that killed Orlando Letelier. Gen. Contreras was dismissed as chief of DINA in 1977 after U.S. investigations in Letelier’s murder implicated the general. The DINA was dissolved in 1977 and replaced by the National Intelligence Center (CNI) after repeated criticisms of its human rights record forced Gen. Pinochet to close the agency down.

Judge Víctor Montiglio, lead investigator in the Operation Colombo case, interviewed Gen. Pinochet last week to help determine what role he might have played in the operation that led to the deaths of 119 MIR activists in 1975.

“I think that Gen. Contreras is a liar,” said Gen. Pinochet. “He changed around everyone’s roles, his, mine, everyone’s, so that it looks like he’s innocent.”

Contreras attributes Pinochet’s claims to his advanced age (90) and has told members of Pinochet’s family that he does not resent the accusations.

SOURCE: LA NACIÓN, EL MERCURIO

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moving to the Suburbs: Reducciones in Recent Latin American Historiography

In 1503, the Spanish monarchy issued its first decree for the resettlement of indigenous groups in the Caribbean so that they would “live together” and “not remain or wander separated from each other in the backcountry.”[1]

As the European conquest spread to North, Central, and South America, these new settlements – known as reducciones and congregaciones in Spanish and descimentos in Portuguese – became sites of forced labor, evangelism, experimental agricultural, and refuge. Through a series of imperial policies decreed over the next decades and centuries of colonial rule, Spanish and Portuguese officials attempted to reshape the New World, including its human and natural landscapes. How colonial historians explain this process and indigenous peoples’ reactions to it is the focus of this essay.

In a review of the recent historiography of reducciones, several trends emerge that signal a shift in our understanding of the practice. As this paper will show, one common element is that …

77-Year-Old Wall Street Favorite to Face Fujimori in Peru Runoff

By Nathan Gill and John Quigley April 12, 2016 (Bloomberg) -- The victory by Pedro Pablo Kuczynski, a former finance minister, for second place in Sunday’s Peruvian president elections sets up a showdown between two business-friendly candidates, part of a regional backlash against left-wing politicians.
Kuczynski, a 77-year-old Oxford-trained political economist who’s spent more than 50 years championing debt control and free trade, won 21 percent of vote with 96 percent of the ballots counted, according to the electoral office. He will face Keiko Fujimori, who won 39.8 percent, in a second-round vote on June 5.
Click here to read the full story on Bloomberg News.

Bailout Risk Grows for Ecuador After Worst Earthquake in Decades

By Nathan Gill April 19, 2016 (Bloomberg) -- Before a 7.8-magnitude earthquake struck Ecuador on Saturday, the South American nation’s finances were already in tatters as the government struggled to meet payments to municipal authorities, oil companies and even cancer hospitals. Cut off from global bond markets, President Rafael Correa must now find enough money to rehouse thousands.
As volunteers continue to rescue victims from the rubble of collapsed homes and buildings on Ecuador’s Pacific coast, doubts are growing about the country’s ability to pay for the reconstruction. The nation is already in its worst recession since the financial system collapsed in the late 1990s, and international reserves are at their lowest levels in almost seven years.
Click hereto read the full story on Bloomberg News.